Tear Gas, Gun-shots mar Jinja SS’ slim win over 10 man Standard High Zana #Uganda

St Marys SS Kitende Director Lawrence Mulindwa and other officials with fans take cover after tear gas and live bullets were fired to disperse the rowdy fans (Photo: David Isabirye)

Copa Coca Cola Football Championship

  • Semi-final 1: St Mary’s SS Kitende 1 (7) – 1 (6) Buddo SS
  • Semi-final 2: Jinja SS 1-0 Standard High School, Zana

There was drama, tension, excitement, blood-shed and tears as Busoga region ambassadors Jinja Secondary School qualified for the finals of the 2019 Copa Coca Cola football championship on Friday evening.

Jinja S.S beat 10 man Wakiso region
representatives Standard High School, Zana 1-0 in an electrifying contest.

Ashraf Kawaasi scored a late goal
that drove Jinja SS to the finals as they await to face giants St Mary’s SS

Before the goal, there was drama as
the organizers were forced to change the refereeing set for grave mistakes of
allowing and disallowing Jinja SS’ and Standard High School’s goals as early as
the 5th minute.

Standard High School Zana’s Aaron Okwii attempts to cross the ball as Jinja SS’ Kenneth Semakula attempts to block (Photo: David Isabirye)

The set of center referee Lucky Razak
Kasalirwe, first assistant Timothy Gumisiriza and Juma Osire were all replaced
following a 30 minute break where fans had thrown stones and other objects onto
the field of play.

Jinja SS and Standard High School Zana captains with the initial match referees prior to the first stoppage of play (Photo: David Isabirye)
Fan surrenders to police after being tear gas-ed (Photo: David Isabirye)

Upon restart, new referees took over in a bid to ensure that the second semi-final is a success.

Under the fresh arrangement, Joseph Masembe was center referee.

Samuel Mbabaali and Mustaphah Mafumu as first and second assistants respectively.

Second set of referees with the match officials before fresh start of the game from zero minutes (Photo: David Isabirye)

Standard High School, Zana ended the
game with 10 men following a first half red card.

The Wakiso team nearly found the
equalizer but Abdallah Salim’s curling free-kick hit the cross bar.

After the end of the game, Police
fired tear gas canisters and gun shots to disperse rowdy fans who wanted to
storm the field of play.

Fans fought for dear lives as they
sought refugee under the stands, with many taking cover.

Fans take cover under an advertisement pitch board after tear gas was fired at Kakindu Stadium on Friday (Photo: David Isabirye)
Officials including the Honorary FUFA President Dr. Lawrence Mulindwa and the FUFA first vice president Justus Mugisha take cover for dear life as a policeman approaches (Photo: David Isabirye)
A wounded fan who was dressed up by the first aid team of Red Cross members (Photo: David Isabirye)
A fan walks across Kakindu Stadium playing field after dispersing off the fans with tear gas and live bullets (Photo: David Isabirye)

Thereafter, there was calmness as
many has stormed out of the Kakindu Stadium.

On Saturday, Jinja SS will square off with St Mary’s Kitende in the long awaited finale at 3 PM.

Meanwhile, Buddo SS and Standard High School Zana will fight for third place, kick off has been confirmed for 11 AM.

Jinja SS-XI-vs-Standard High School, Zana (Photo: David Isabirye)
Standard High School Zana XI Vs Jinja SS (Photo: David Isabirye)

Source link

Back to top button