Vipers stake claim in dismissal of Bul #Uganda


Unbeaten Vipers made a statement of intent, dethroning early pacesetters, Bul, from the StarTimes Uganda Premier League (SUPL) summit at St Mary’s Stadium, Kitende last evening.
Frank Tumwesigye and Allan Kayiwa’s first half goals shot the Venoms to the top on 20 points, one ahead of Bul in second place, after a 2-1 win.
Coach Edward Golola’s men also have a game in hand on Peter Onen’s Bul, who have now played nine matches. Deogratious Ojok got Bul’s consolation.
It was a lively start but the promise soon vanished after the three goals. But the lively bit first. The hosts got a breakthrough when Aziz Kayondo’s ball found Tumwesigye for one of the country’s most ‘potential’ footballers to head in past Abdul Kimera on 19 minutes.
The Venoms made it 2-0 almost immediately, with Kayiwa curling home a free-kick on 24 minutes.
At this time it looked like Vipers were in a hurry to get Bul off the top, and the scoreline suggested they could run away with it.
But see, the Jinja side – Bul – were not there by accident having won six in eight games coming into this.
And they pulled one back when James Otim’s pass eluded Vipers defence and found Ojok, who struck home the club’s 13th goal of the campaign on 29 minutes.
There was really little to write home about in the second period, apart from the return of versatile Geoffrey Wasswa, who replaced Tumwesigye, after months out with injury. “The most important thing is winning the game and I’m very happy with that,” said Vipers coach Golola.
“It was not been an easy match. I thank my boys they have worked as a team defensively and offensively.”
Bul coach Onen insists it will be foolhardy to rule them out of the title contention. “We shall go back saying it’s not over until it’s over,” he said, “We still have more matches and anything can happen.”
In Luzira, a late KCCA dramatic and controversial show saw them beat hosts Maroons 3-1 to move three places up to fifth on 13 points after seven games.
The game was headed for a draw after Solomon Walusimbi cancelled out Mike Mutyaba’s fourth goal in two matches.
But referee William Oloya awarded a stoppage time controversial penalty after he adjudged Sylvester Okello to have handled John Odumegwu’s shot despite the ball seeming to have hit the defender’s chest. Maroons players furiously protested but Mustafa Kizza stepped up and scored it anyway, before the Nigerian,
Odumegwu, got the third, also his first for KCCA. At Namboole, Robert Ssentongo’s lone strike ensured a 1-0 victory for Kyetume over Proline.

Source link

Back to top button